Responsible for assisting primarily the Vice President and Technical Operations’ Director but may receive assignments from the President / CEO to assist any department in The Nelrod Company. The Nelrod Company has departments in the fields of operational technical assistance, policies, procedures, rent reasonableness, utility allowance studies, human resources, physical needs assessments, energy audits, HQS inspections, and Energy Star construction inspections. Assignments may include a variety of both administrative and technical duties in the Public Housing, Housing Choice Voucher, and HUD Multifamily programs. Specific assignments may include supporting the day-to-day operations with research, technical writing, technical assistance, development, marketing, training, on-site assessments at agencies, and execution of strategies to ensure excellent customer service. The duties listed below illustrate the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements regarding duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment in association with this position.
Undertakes and performs the following and all other work-related duties as assigned.
- Performs a variety of detailed research and writing tasks to help produce policies, procedures, technical reports, training material, and proposals.
- Provides excellent customer service by connecting with agencies and building good relationships, and provide positive, helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly assistance to ensure customer loyalty.
- Research and interpret Federal Regulations, HUD Notices, and other data.
- Provides assistance to Nelrod staff to ensure overall efficiency by composing, preparing, organizing, and proofreading correspondence, agreements, summaries, memoranda, statistical tables, presentations, forms, and reports.
- Develop Technical Assistance Order/proposals by assembling information through research including objectives/outcomes/deliverables on various services of Nelrod’s to clients.
- Assist in developing and implementing products such as Small Area Fair Market Rent (FMR) payment standards, HUD Multifamily Management and Occupancy Review documentation systems, and a Project Based Voucher Operations Manual for property management and HCV staff.
- Assist with on-site technical assistance and reviews at Agencies.
- Assist with developing training presentations by performing research and writing slides and other training materials.
- Write agency operational procedures called EZ-Step Guides.
- May provide technical assistance directly to agency staff by implementing company protocols.
- Provide support to agency staff responding to emails, phone calls etc.
- Writes drafts and edits policies and procedures ensuring compliance with regulations/guidelines.
- Receives communications via the telephone, internet, fax, and in person and courteously responds to routine questions or refers the more complex inquiries to appropriate staff.
- Assists with preparing website content.
- Gathers information and prepares correspondence.
- Prepares final products for agencies including research, writing, proofreading, copying, assembling, emailing, and mailing.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned including research, evaluation, analysis, reporting, recommendations, problem resolution, internal and external communications, etc.
- Organizes, maintains, and updates Public Housing (PH), Housing Choice Voucher and HUD Multifamily Programs operations records, reports, and files to accurately reflect current programs and agency information.
- Accountable for consistent adherence to strong Company standards regarding the ethical, responsible, and appropriate use, care, and safeguarding of Company materials, supplies, resources, and other assets.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in related discipline such as Public Administration, Community Services, or other closely related field and up to five (5) years of relevant experience at a housing agency or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to fulfill essential position functions.
Knowledge and Skills
- Capacity to be a fast learner and follow detailed protocols.
- Able to report to multiple supervisors.
- Able to make progress working on several different tasks at one time.
- Considerable skills in operating computer equipment, software packages and general office machines. Specifically, considerable skills in windows, MS Word, MS Excel, Power Point and other office software as needed.
- Excellent customer service aptitude and communication skills via telephone and email.
- Good working knowledge of some HUD regulations and good ability to interpret regulations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and courteous relationships with other employees and other business contacts.
- Demonstrated positive attitude and team player, willing to accept any assignment.
- Good research, technical writing, and organizational skills.
- Ability to identify process inefficiencies and develop solutions for improvements.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and be a self-starter.
- Effective time management.